Roofing for 8' by 8' shed...

Old 05-03-07, 05:23 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Roofing for 8' by 8' shed...

I am building a shed that is 8' by 8' and I can't decide what my best option is for the studs on the roof. I am new to this so any help is appreciated. What are my options?

Old 05-03-07, 05:43 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,899 Upvotes on 1,705 Posts
I suppose your options would be... go to a big box store like Menards and see if they have any small trusses... or just frame the thing yourself.

You could pretty easily make some trusses yourself for such a small shed by buying some Simpson mending plates and nailing them together. Or, instead of making your own trusses, you could stick frame it.

Last week I did this when I built a 10x12 shed for someone and made a gable roof with 2x6 rafters on 24" centers (5/8" osb sheathing) and a 1x6 ridge. Figured the angle for a 4:12 pitch, figured how long they would be if the shed had a 12" soffit, cut the birdsmouths in the right spot, framed it, put on some ceiling joists to form a triangle... took about 2 hours to cut and install the roof framing.

If you are planning on having a hip roof, that's a little more complicated for a beginner.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: