What kind of professional do I need for this project?

Old 05-06-07, 09:19 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,624
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
What kind of professional do I need for this project?

I have an overhead aluminum screen enclosure two sides of it are attached to
the house's fascia board. The fascia boards are in pretty bad shape some
parts are so rotten I can make a dimple by pressing my finger into it. It
is a recently purchased house so it's been in neglect for years. The leaves
from the tree traps in the "valley" between the bottom of the tiled roof and
the bottom of the screen enclosure, and sat there, trapped moisture and
caused wood rot. I removed a small section of the eave and peeked inside
and I can see the fascia boards are attached to some 2x4 laid 24" aparts,
each 2x4 is attached to the roof framing at an angle (hard to explain) and
some of the 2x4 are also rotted a bit where it meets the rotted fascia

So the work I would need to do are:

(1) Detach and dissemble the screen enclosure at least on two sides where it
attaches to the structure.
(2) Remove all fascia boards and replace with new PT wood fascia boards.
(3) Examine the 2x4 where the fascia boards are attached to, and it any rots
occurs - I am not sure what to do, either replace or install a sister 2x4
next to it.
(4) Replace the sections of eave that are also rotted.
(5) Prime and paint all new wood.
(6) Reattach the screen enclosure again.
(7) Install a "lid" over the "valley" to stop rain and leave from collecting

I want to hire someone to do this. I just don't know if this is a roofer's
job, a screen enclosure guy's job or a carpenter's job. I called around and
no one wants to do it all, they all just want to do the screen part, or the
framing part etc...I have trouble finding a "general" contractor to do
repair oriented work.

Any suggestions?

Old 05-06-07, 09:41 PM
XSleeper's Avatar
Group Moderator
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 27,009
Received 1,899 Upvotes on 1,705 Posts
It's strange that the sunroom companies you talked to don't want to do it all. But I suppose many of their crews just install rooms and nothing else. So you might have to act as your own GC on this one if you want to hire it out.

Provided you can't find a sunroom company who will do it all, you would want to contract the work out in 3 steps:

1) sunroom company dismantles all parts of the room needed to allow access to framing under repair. (sunroom company specifies proper flashing needed and coordinates with roofers)

2) carpenters come and repair framing, roofers hopefully would add ice and water shield to the roof edges adjacent to the low pitched roof to prevent damage from water damming due to leaves.

3) sunroom company is called once framing/roofing repairs are complete in order to reconstruct the room as needed.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: