Need Flashing Install Advice - EZ

Old 05-07-07, 11:12 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Need Flashing Install Advice - EZ

On my 12-unit I need to install some flashing because the drip edge doesn't get anywhere NEAR the back of the gutter. In fact it's so bad that in some places the wood of the fascia board is exposed. When it rains, water is just flowing freely behind the gutters, making a pretty waterfall. My question is: What's the easiest way to secure the flashing to the fascia and what do I use?

I have 288 feet(!) to do (144 feet on each side) and I will be up 2 1/2 stories on a ladder. I have thought of these ideas:

1.) Use 1" decking screws, since scews will STAY in (Being up 2 1/2 stories makes this desireable since the screws will "stick" onto my driver bit and it leaves me one hand free to hang on.

2.) Nail them in with small nails (not my favorite since I have 288 feet to do AND I need two hands which won't allow me to hang on);

3.) Buy a nailing gun to install ...but which one? (They're either framing, brad or staple guns, none seem appropriate).

Any other ideas are appraciated!!!

Also, if I purchase roll flashing, how do I cut it into 2 inch strips? I have 288 feet to cut, so I hope the answer isn't with a tin snips. :-)

Thanks in advance .....-Tony

Old 05-08-07, 08:29 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,900 Upvotes on 1,706 Posts
Rather than purchasing roll flashing, I'd suggest that you buy a box of aluminum trim coil. Some brands will sell small boxes of 14" wide coil x 50' long. This would translate into 300' of flashing if cut into six strips roughly 2 5/16" wide. If you can't find the smaller boxes, coil normally comes in rolls 24" wide x 50' long. This would make 300' of flashing if cut into strips that are 4" wide. A big box of coil would run $80 tops- more than enough to make all the flashing you need. And you can get it in any color you want.

To cut the 50' long roll of coil to smaller 10' lengths, all you need is a framing square and a sharp utility knife. Lay the coil in the grass, use the framing square as a straight edge, and score the metal. Then carefully bend it upward, and push it back down flat. It should snap cleanly if your knife is sharp.

The best way to rip these 10' long pieces of coil to smaller widths would be with a metal break. You can rent metal breaks at most rentals, and if you knew what size strips you needed, you'd only need it for a morning. The metal break has jaws like a long clamp that holds the coil while you score it with a sharp utility knife, following the jaws of the metal break as a straight edge with your utility knife. Then after you score it, you slightly bend it upward and fold it back down... bend is slightly upward and fold it back down... then bend it all the way up until it snaps.

One benefit of doing this on a metal break is that you could also make a bend on the coil strips if needed. For instance, a flat strip of coil that is 4" wide will have a tendency to want to roll back up into a circle. But if you make a hem on it (making a 3/8" or 1/2" bend that is folded back onto itself and pressed flat) it will lay almost perfectly flat... making it a LOT easier to tuck up underneath an existing drip edge. Instead of a hem, you could also make a simple 90 degree bend that would also stiffen the coil, making it lay straight.

As far as fastening the new flashing to the old one, I'd recommend that you purchase self-starting #8 x 3/4 screws with hex heads, and use a magnetic driver bit.

If you have to do it off a ladder, you can, but it would be much safer to rent an aerial lift or scissors lift that has a larger work platform. It will give you the ability to put up one piece of flashing, walk or move along its length to install all the screws before moving down to install the next piece.

If you do it off a ladder, I imagine it will be very difficult to install long pieces of flashing, and you will be making a LOT of trips up and down the ladder to move it over 3 feet at a time.

Another option instead of cutting and making all this flashing yourself... you could buy a smaller prebent flashing, such as a z-flashing... usually used to separate courses of 4x8 siding from each other. It's kind of like a drip cap flashing, about 1 1/2 - 2" tall.

Old 05-09-07, 06:08 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Thanks a lot for the reply.

I decided to put the project off a little to research it a bit more.

I also have a quote for $280 to have the whole thing done ...I may do that since it is relativelt low.

Thanks again!

-Tony

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: