flashing?

Old 05-17-07, 10:05 AM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
flashing?

I have a dormer that rises from my shingle roof. It is sided with cedar shingles. Do to new window installation, the siding shingles have been removed all the way to the asphault roof shingles. originally, it seems that the roofing curled up the siding shingles,overlapping them by about 5 inches.
Since the roof is being redone, and I have to re-shingle most of the siding, should I use metal flashing at the junction? Any input is appreciated!

Old 05-21-07, 04:26 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,940 Upvotes on 1,742 Posts
You say the roof is being redone, and the siding is being removed. That is great, because you will be able to install new flashing around the perimeter of the dormer. Shingles will be applied up to the front of the dormer. A flashing should then be installed onto the sheathing on FRONT of the dormer (below the window) which will overlap the course of shingles below.

Some roofers will apply a row of shingles over the flashing for aesthetic reasons only, to hide the flashing as much as possible.

As the roof is shingled up the SIDES of the dormer, new 5x7 metal shingles would be installed (folded in half) to act as step shingles. In some areas, step shingles are not used- instead a solid piece of wide L-flashing is used. IMO, the use of step shingles is superior.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: