Mobile Home Roofover For 14 Foot Add-On

Old 05-22-07, 05:35 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Mobile Home Roofover For 14 Foot Add-On

Is there any information available for a do it yourself roofover? Numerous folks have said there is a book with information on such a project but I have not been able to find one.

I have a 14X68 add on which sustained some damage during the last hurricane season{large tree uprooted and lifted the addition} and any attempts to patch the leaks have been unsuccessful. Have sealed the section several times and still have several small leaks which wreaks havoc on the drywalled ceiling. Rainy season and hurricane season coming up! Need to do something soon!
Thanks for any help!!

Old 05-22-07, 10:44 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
I don't know of any self help books although I don't doubt that they exist.

Does the MH and the addition share the same roof? or is it 2 seperate roofs joined together with flashing? Does the MH have a 3/12 pitch roof or is it an older flat/crown roof? What is the roof [s] made of? How is the addition joined to the MH?

Old 05-22-07, 11:38 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Mobile home roof is the standard cathedral type with a pitch. No problem with it. Had a torchdown job done on it 2 years ago.
The addition would qualify as a flat type roof with a minimal runoff grade! It is attached to the MH roof and was constructed with 2X6 studs every 18 inches. 3/4 plywood on top with 2 layers of rolled roofing and a ton of sealer. It developed a couple of low spots which hold a little water and I have an area of seepage that is minimal but enough to total a 2 foot square of my drywall ceiling.
I removed a 4X8 section to try and track down the exact area of the leak but it seems to be traveling from another area! 2 low spots where water holds and I have built them up with sealer to no avail. Not a major leak just a drip drip but over the course of a week or so it finally got the drywall.
I have just covered the area with a stapled cloth as it makes no sense to repair the drywall till I fix the leak!The roof is stable and I have taken my blower up and cleaned the low area, let it dry and added sealer. Maybe I just need to do it a few more times as each time the leak seems to get smaller. Don't think it is enough to require a total roof job but the wife was thinking of a roofover which I believe is going to be quite expensive! Neighbor suggested taking a can of portland cement and sprinkle a small amount on the low areas and allow to dry! Never heard of that one!
I actually have good runoff as the gutters can attest to with our summer storms come in. 2 low spots seem to be the problem!

Old 05-22-07, 11:48 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
I don't know much about flat roofs but there should be some roofers along later today. You probably need to embed a membrane in the tar over the suspect areas. This would help to combat the movement of the tar as it heats up and cools.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: