roof over

Old 05-23-07, 08:29 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question roof over

I have a trailer which someone built a frame house over half of it, with a nice sloped roof, shingles, etc(this probably wasn't by code but was done long ago enough that its ok)...anyhow, I was thinking about placing a roof over on the part that still just has a trailer roof....with 4x4 set in concrete with half trusses on top(i have to do this b/c the actual walls aren't strong enough to hold a roof, they are only 2x2's and 2x3's). This would make it look like a house...especially if i placed siding over the 4x4's and insulated it again between the aluminum siding of the trailer and the new siding.....is it okay to do this...or better to leave it like it is?....and if someone needs a pic lemme know and i will get one, i just want this place to look nice...i've come a LONG way from how it did look on the inside, and now just would like to fix the outside!

Old 05-24-07, 06:17 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 821 Upvotes on 720 Posts
A pic is always nice - use a free site like photobucket.com and provide a link

How does the addition roof connect to the MH? I agree yout MH would probably look better with a roof over it to match the addition's roof. Is the addition the same width as the MH? Are they the same approximate height?

You are right that the new roof will likely need extra support and 4x4's are a good way to accomplish this. How will the other end [middle of home] be supported? How is the common wall between the addition and MH constructed/supported?

You can install another exterior wall/siding but it will need more support than the 4x4's will provide [too far apart] You can frame up 2x's inbetween. This will pose a problem where the exterior doors and windows are. They will either need to be framed out or allowances made for their operation.

Another method for supporting the roof would entail blocking up a foundation wall and using 2'x supported by the block to support the roof.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: