Need help roofing

Old 05-25-07, 09:54 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Need help roofing

I am going to re-roof my house, and the old worn out sheathing needs to be replaced. I am going to replace it myself with 5/8 teckboard. I'm working my myself because of all the "roofing" and "helper" lawsuits being filed. (I also cannot afford to pay "help" $100/day.) My question is this: It's too heavy for me to lift or drag a 4X8 sheet of this too the roof on a ladder, can I cut this to a 4X4 sheet (which would be at the corners anyway) and stagger the joints? I know it will take more nails, but cheaper than "help." Thanks

Old 05-25-07, 11:44 AM
Group Moderator
Received 896 Votes on 822 Posts
I suppose you "could" but it will be a little more difficult for you to keep everything straight. You'll want to chalk some lines the length of the roof and follow them as you lay your sheathing in order to keep it straight... otherwise all those little pieces will make for a very crooked roof.

One other idea would be to get some scaffolding with walk planks, and use the scaffolding as a way to get the 4x8 sheets up there by yourself. You can lift the sheets up and set them on a plank, then climb the scaffolding and lift them up higher onto the next plank, etc... until you get them up on the roof.

A helper definately makes it easier though. Sounds like you need to get some friends that will work for beer!

Old 05-25-07, 02:58 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The last few roof sheathing jobs I did were done in creative ways. On the one we fired all the trusses and sheathing up the shingle lift. Not a good thing to try if its windy and use support ropes. On the other I nailed a 2x4 across 3 trusses and pushed the 4x8 sheet up the ladder and threw it behind the 2x4. That made you tired fast. And the other we used scaffolding.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: