roof repair suggestion needed

Old 05-26-07, 12:23 PM
V
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
roof repair suggestion needed

Hi While looking thru binoculars at my townhouse roof top from a distance i noticed that there are one or two shingle pieces (is that what the black sheets on the roof called?) might have comes off and i can see a green layer from underneath.

My question is how big an issue is it? Handyman is charging minimum $100 to comeover for a check and $50 per hour. How much of a work would it be?
Any help and suggestions would help me make a right choice. Any other things i should really take care of while at this, and also to make sure the guys does his work right?

Thanks for your help in advance.

-A

Old 05-26-07, 01:01 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 821 Upvotes on 720 Posts
$100 seems kind of high for someone to just come and look at the job. Labor prices vary in differect locales but I'd think you could get some free estimates.

The felt roofing underlayment is black. Does your roof have 2 layers of shingles? First layer green? If the shingles are fairly new, fixing/replacing the bad spots is in order but if the roof is toward the end of it's life cycle it would make sense to plan on a new roof - maybe tar patches if they leak in the interm.

Old 05-26-07, 01:26 PM
V
Thanks Marks. I am not sure about double layer or single layer. All i know is ours is asphalt shingle roof and our house is 8 yrs old. Outer layer that we see is of color black.

From the distance with binoculars it patchy area looks in greenish shade but i am not sure what exact it is.

He said $100 min but i am not sure if he is going to charge that before he comes and have a look. Can you please give me a hint on how this would work and how much time it could take for a couple of asphalt sheets, because this guy is saying by hour.
BTW what is the typical life of an Asphalt Shingle roof, for a recent constructed house?

We are in Northern Virginia area.

Old 05-26-07, 02:22 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 821 Upvotes on 720 Posts
I'm a painter not a roofer but......... a roofer will probably be along later.

At 8 yrs I'm sure you only have the 1 layer of shingles with tar paper underneath. For the most part when replacing individual shingles you remove the old and either sink or remove the respective nails and then insert a new shingle inplace of the old. You might need to use a little silcone caulk to insure everything is watertight.

When I lived in fla I saw a lot of cheap builder grade shingles only last 10 yrs but fla does have some intense sun. Typically I think shingles last from 15 - 40 yrs depending on the grade of shingle and how it was installed.

Hopefully the handyman can give you a rough estimate of how long it will take, if not I'd consider hiring someone else.

Old 05-27-07, 06:32 AM
V
Thank you once again.
It is so difficult to hire a handyman. Another guy i called yesterday said he estimates $600 without even looking as he says he is very sure of what needs to be done

I hope it is not that big of a deal.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: