No Starter Shingles by Soffits and Fascia

Old 05-29-07, 02:59 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question No Starter Shingles by Soffits and Fascia

I had a roofer put a new roof on my house and siding people to install siding and windows. The siding people told me that the roofer didn't put starter shingles by the soffits and fasica and will cause leakage. My question is can repair of the starter shingles be done and if so how.

Thanks for any advise.

Sharon

Old 05-29-07, 05:25 PM
W
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
A couple of things - did you verify for yourself that no starter shingles were used and did the roofer use a product like Water and Ice seal instead?

Old 05-29-07, 05:35 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,900 Upvotes on 1,706 Posts
It could be 2nd layer and the guy just cut a corner by not doing it. Good point about verifying it yourself. Never get worked up about something until you see it with your own eyes.

Old 06-01-07, 02:58 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Starter Shingles

No he didn't use a seal. He said that he could fix it, I just wanted to know if it will be an easy fix or will it require a lot of shingles being pulled up (how labor intensive). I just want to ensure that it won't leak and cause damage to my house.

I thought if a roofer had actually had to do this they could tell me how it was done.

Old 06-01-07, 03:18 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,900 Upvotes on 1,706 Posts
You'd first want to break the tar seal along the bottom of the 2nd row of shingles (the row that covers the nail heads on the first row.) Then using a wonder bar, you'd carefully pry out the nails holding down the first row of shingles (by prying underneath the shingle, not on top of it.) An experienced carpenter could probably do this without destroying the first row of shingles. Someone who is impatient and inexperienced would probably do more damage than good by attempting a repair.

Once all the nails are removed, a starter course could be tucked in place under the existing shingles. The 2nd course of shingles would need to be lifted up without tearing them, and new nails would be driven next to the old nail holes. The old nail holes should then be sealed with roof sealant as a precaution. You would also ensure that the starter course is positioned so as to have the factory tar strip oriented so that it seals the bottom edge of the first course. (however some shingles now have the tar on the bottom edge of the tabs rather than in the middle of the shingle as they have been manufactured in the past).

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: