Soffit vent problem

Old 05-29-07, 10:27 PM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Soffit vent problem

I had my roof done and the soffit and eaves troughs replaced last summer. I had wooden soffits on before and when the contractor did the job, he cut a three foot by as wide as the soffit hole in the wood. 14 of these vent holes were cut around the entire house. He then placed the new metal soffit over the old wooden soffit. In the winter, we had a couple of days when the wind was really blowing and the blown in insulation in the attic was blown back from the ceiling and this left a bare spot on the ceiling which caused frost to condense on the inside of the house on the ceiling in the areas where these soffit vents were cut. They did not use insulation dams and I was wondering if this was required on a retrofit and where could I find out more information about who's responsibility it is to repair this so that I do not have a frost problem this coming winter.

Old 05-30-07, 12:14 AM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Are there any exit roof vents? You should not have any problems with condensation if there are exit vents. Also, I have never seen 3x3 foot holes put in soffits. They should have been at the most 2 vent panels width every eight to ten feet apart. You will have to find an expert in your area possibly call the codes building inspector of your city if there is one and pose this question to him. Don't be surprised if you have to close those holes a little and then put more insulation there.

Old 05-30-07, 05:23 AM
Group Moderator
Received 900 Votes on 826 Posts
Siding contractors who install soffit, fascia and gutters are not insulation contractors, so adding styrofoam proper vents and insulation would not be part of his job, IMO. The only thing you could go after him for is cutting the holes too big and changing the volume of intake. A responsible contractor would know that according to current methods, soffit vent area is a carefully calculated formula.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: