New step flashing required?

Old 05-31-07, 06:41 AM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Smile New step flashing required?

I want to install new shingles on my house. The existing roof is 1 layer of 3-tab asphalt shingles that are 25 years old. The roof does not leak and still looks pretty good, so I would like to do a shingle over. Will I need to install new step flashing at the vertical wall, or can I just run some sealant between the new & the old shingles parallel to the wall? I don't want to damage the aluminum siding trying to pry it out to slip the flashing behind it. Also, can 30 year architectural shingles be used in a shingle over application? The old shingles are still flat and not curled or cracked.

Old 05-31-07, 01:15 PM
W
Received 31 Votes on 28 Posts
Roof

You really should tear off the old shingles to check the wood underneath. All sheathing is not the same and should be visually checked before the new roof is installed, Good luck with your project.

Old 05-31-07, 03:28 PM
Group Moderator
Received 895 Votes on 821 Posts
I agree that tearing off is a good practice whenever possible. That being said, if the existing shingles are flat, as you suggest, you can apply 1 more layer on top if tearing off is not an option. Sealing the edge with sealant is a terrible practice and I would not recommend it. New step flashings are a better option. Hopefully the aluminum siding is an inch or two away from the shingles, and you should not have to remove any of it to slip a new step flashing behind the j-channel. Since you bend the 5x7 metal shingles by hand, you will bend them to the correct length which will be determined by "whatever will fit".

30 year architectural shingles are great. Good choice.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: