help with 2 garage roofs, 1 unfinished, 1 leaks

Old 05-31-07, 12:56 PM
A
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Arrow help with 2 garage roofs, 1 unfinished, 1 leaks

Hello

I purchased my first home about 2.5 years ago. Before I bought the home I had a home inspector inspect it. This is what he told me at the time. The roof on the house is fine.

There are two garage buildings.

The main garage is 26x30 and the shingles are OK and do not need replacing. But whoever built it did not finish the roof work as there are no gutters on it. Also, at the back of the garage (it has a peaked roof) the edge of the roof isn't covered. I am sorry I don't know the terminology. It looks like a 2x4 board on each side under the shingles. It is bare wood. It is only unfinished on the back. The home inspector said that without gutters the water would eventually damage the foundation.

First question: is it fairly easy to install some parts to cover up the wood, and since it has been exposed for some years (let's say 8-10 years) do I need to replace the wood or just cover it? Also can I install gutters myself.

Second, there is another garage building that is a single car garage. It does not have a peaked roof, it is a flat roof that slopes down toward the right so that the left wall is higher than the right wall. This garage is unfinished (doesn't have insulation or electrical installed). The roof is, as my inspector put it, "useless". The shingles are so old they are basically crumbling off, and the roof definitely leaks as there is a musty, mouldy smell inside the garage and you can see the damp spots. There is also bare wood all around the outside of the roof (the side edges of the roof).

I currently do not use this garage for anything. However I would like to fix the roof so I can start using it. The roof has been leaking since I bought the house (2.5 years) so I think some of the wood might be getting rotten.

My question for this garage is can I just cover up the wood with new roofing and put some gutters and whatever else it needs and dry the wood from the inside, or do I have to actually replace all the wood? How do I know what part of the wood needs replacing?

I tried looking on Google but I didn't get many helpful sites on roofing. So if you know of any links that might help me, please post them!

Thank you very much, sorry for the long post!

Last edited by avatar; 05-31-07 at 12:58 PM. Reason: typos
Old 05-31-07, 02:26 PM
W
Received 63 Upvotes on 55 Posts
Roof

Inspect the wood piece by piece by poking it with a screwdriver. Replace any damaged wood.

Gutters are a good thing. A 30 foot long gutter will have seams where the sections are joined if you do it yourself. I would make the necessary wood repairs, have the exposed wood covered with trim coil, and have professionals install seamless gutters. Good luck with your project.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: