Sealing small opennings in the eaves of a Craftsman House

Old 06-01-07, 12:52 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sealing small opennings in the eaves of a Craftsman House

I am cleaning up the attic and reinsulating a 1910 vintage craftsman house.

The roof is new and the house and siding is in good condition. As I have been cleaning out the attic and preparing to add new insulation I notice there areas in the eaves where I can see daylight coming though. There are also some remnants of wasp or bee nests that have been created over the years. The openings are relativly small but there are a fair number of them.

It would be difficult to get in there and caulk from teh inside and it would be difficult work on a ladder from the outside it would be tough to see everything.

My question is there a foam type product that I could spray in there that would seal these holes and perhaps even contain an insecticide/wood preservative to protect the structure?

The issue here is more insect avoidance rather than water penetration as there is no evidence that water is entering though these opening.

Thanks for the help,
David

Old 06-01-07, 01:31 AM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I really don't see the need in filling the holes unless they are big enough for a bird or squirrel to get in. Wasps are and some crawling insects are about the only pest that can survive the extreme temperatures of an attic. Also bats may be of concern if the hole is larger than 3/8 of an inch big. It has been known for bats to squeeze in this size hole or larger.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: