leak- help

Old 06-03-07, 09:31 PM
M
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Unhappy leak- help

Hello-- I have a single family home- It was built in the mid 1940's- Ihave never had any problems in the 20 years that we have owned it. I hope I can explain properly- The previous owner built a backyard entrance that is actually part of the basement--This slight extension has about four concrete stairs that go down to basement level- Just recently it seems that at the some parts of this concrete or cinder block wall- there has sprung some slight leaks and the water is dripping down the walls in to the small landing where the stairs end and water is building up- I am using towels to catch it and keep wringing them out- every time it rains it starts over again- I tried using Hydraulic cement-- BUT it does not hold-- it turns soft and falls off--This hydraulic cement has not been used in years- could not sealing the top have reuined its ability to "work"- But more than that- what is my solution-- remember this is below ground-- One more thing -- we just had new brickwork put in last year in our backyard- it used to be all cement-- Could this be what has caused this water damage - because 2 years ago when we had the cment backyard- this did not happen??Where and how do I find where the leak is coming from and how do I stop it??? Please help...

Old 06-04-07, 02:39 PM
W
Received 63 Upvotes on 55 Posts
Water

This sounds like a drainage problem from the brick patio. A drain installed around the perimeter of the stairs under the bricks might help. Consider rebuilding the brick patio with additional fill to raise the level of the patio next to the house and slope it away from the stairway.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: