Metal roof (over shingles)

Old 06-05-07, 04:04 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Metal roof (over shingles)

Hi:

Would anyone who knows of one please post links to websites with instructions/photos, etc. for installation of a metal panel roof. Particularly over an existing shingle roof.

Looking for tips, things to avoid, etc.
I have looked at manufacturer's sites and I guess I'm looking for more generic instructions.

Thanks.

Old 06-07-07, 07:23 PM
we did one last year. i was instructed by a friend who does metal roofing to use 30lb felt over the existing shingles and install the metal roofing over that. our project went fairly smooth. i will be doing the same project this winter on my residence and plan on following the same procedure.

Old 06-08-07, 04:20 PM
Red face

Did you use strapping or secure the metal directly over the felt?

Old 06-26-07, 03:01 PM
P
I saw one being reroofed recently and it appeared that they were mounting the new metal roofing to strips of wood nailed to the old shingles. This left around a half inch gap between the old roof and the new every place but where the wood strips were. Wonder how you could possibly walk on the new roof?

Old 06-26-07, 03:08 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 824 Upvotes on 722 Posts
I'm not a roofer but....

I'm not overly fond of applying a metal roof over old shingles. If you look at most any barn roof you will see that it is common to use strapping [every 12"-18"] and fasten the metal roofing to it.

Some roof metal is heavy enough gauge that there is no problem with walking on the roof [even in between straps] but some of the cheaper roofing metal is so thin I'd be leary of walking on it unless it had sheating under it to support it.

The can be a big price difference in the various metal roofing. If you compare the metal gauge it is easier to understand the price difference.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: