choosing a paint for a metal roof

Old 06-13-07, 05:03 AM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question choosing a paint for a metal roof

We are painting a tin roof in Virginia in order to keep from having to replace it for a few more years (in the middle of renovating the house and funds are tight). We are scrapping off as much of the paint as possible. We have found a few small holes (many of which were caused by the scraping) and I have been patching them with tar and a fiber mesh.

Our plan is to clean the roof after we have take off as much of the paint as we can and then paint it. A smaller roof that we finished we used a primer coat and then a thin aluminum roof paint. I was thinking that we might want a thicker fibrous paint for this roof because it seems like it has more wear and more pin-holes. Does anyone have experience with this type of paint? Any suggestions on brands etc?

thank you,

nalle

Old 06-13-07, 05:24 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 383 Votes on 339 Posts
Sounds like your roof is a good canidate for the fibered aluminum roof coating [often refered to as kool seal] It doesn't go as far as regular alum paint and while priming is best it isn't require as the asphalt base of this type of coating will help to hold back rust.

Fibered aluminum roof coating is supposed to seal minor leaks but IMO it is best to first repair all known or suspected leaks first. This type of coating looks best brushed but it can be rolled - it just takes a little more care to make it look good, use a 1.5" nap roller cover. It is kind of messy, I like to use gloves when I roll it.

I'm partial to the 'silver dollar' brand [I think it keeps it shine a little longer]that lowes sells although there isn't a lot of difference between brands.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: