Rotten Eves

Old 06-17-07, 11:12 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Rotten Eves

I discovered that the OSB board is rotted about one foot up from the edge of the roof. I dicovered this when I removed the aluminum soffit. There is a nice drip edge but the last first row of shingles{ starter strip} doesn't hang over the edge, it is flush with the edge. This roof has a ******* pitch and doesn't slant very much. Do you think water is getting under the shingles or maybe it is moisture comming through the aluminum soffit? This roof has never leaked so the moisture rotting this Osb board must be a small amount . I want to stop the leaking and let the whole thing go untill I need to re-shingle again, whats the best way???

Old 06-17-07, 03:43 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,899 Upvotes on 1,705 Posts
You don't say how low of a pitch your roof is, but it's possible that its too low of a pitch to have asphalt shingles on it. 3 tabs are especially bad on low pitch roofs.

It's hard to say what the problem is without tearing it all off, exposing the problem and fixing it right. You mentioned you want to "stop the leaking", but at the same time you say you want to "let it go until you need to reshingle."

I'm not sure that's possible. There is no magic wand or roof coating that will fix such a problem, because on such a low pitch you probably need to cover the entire roof with ice and water shield which can only be done by tearing off all the shingles. So I'm not quite sure what to suggest, unless you would be up to removing the first 4 feet of shingles, replacing any sheathing that is damaged, applying gutter apron and then ice and water shield over the sheathing and flashing, then reshingling that first 4 feet. I'm pretty sure that if you are already noticing the OSB is getting wet that in a few years it will be quite rotten.

Something additional to check would be, if you have 3 tab shingles, see if the end-joints on the starter row accidentally are lined up with the tabs on the first row of shingles.

Old 06-17-07, 11:24 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks sleeper, This roof has a slight pitch, don't know the numbers. My niehbors have the same roof and it is rubber. The guy that did my roof 5 years ago wanted to put rolled material on it. He didn't like using the shingles but I gave him the go ahead.. I guess it's probably the ice and snow sitting up there all winter.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: