Shingle damage

Old 06-21-07, 07:39 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Shingle damage

Hello all!

After a recent storm, I noticed two portions of shingles came of my roof! Bah humbug.

Questions:

Can I temporarily prevent any water leakage by applying roofing cement to the area (i.e. nail heads, etc)?

Approx. how much for a roofer to fix this?

Apparently this roof is only 5-8 yrs old. (We moved in 2 yrs ago)

Here are some pics:

http://s64.photobucket.com/albums/h178/normanmj/?action=view&current=DSC_0480.jpg

http://s64.photobucket.com/albums/h178/normanmj/?action=view&current=DSC_0483.jpg

Old 06-21-07, 08:33 AM
Update:

I went to Lowes and got some Black Jack sealant and reapplied the shingles and cracks.

There is an existing layer of shingles under this existing roof, so I might not have been as vulnerable as I thought?

Hopefully this will be good enough until the next storm. If any more come off, it's time to call the insurance agency! :-)

Old 06-21-07, 09:20 AM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
You are not likely to get any water damage immediately if your two photos are the only damage. This is an easy fix for even an amateur, assuming the pitch of the roof is not steeper than you are comfortable working upon. It will be easiest replacing the shingles at first light in the morning before the sun has softened up the roofing. You will need a flat pry bar to slip under and separate the shingles immediately above the damaged shingle. Locate the nails which secure the shingle to be removed. There should be 4 just under the lower edge of the overlapping shingles. Carefully slip the pry bar under and remove them. There will be 4 more nails securing the uppermost edge of the damaged shingle, but it will also be driven through the middle of the shingles above. Once you remove these nails, you should be able to slip the damaged shingle out and slide the new one in place. Re-nail the new one as the old one had been and you will be through. It will take you less time to replace the shingle than it has taken me to write this message.

Old 06-21-07, 09:39 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,273 Upvotes on 1,213 Posts
I disagree - it will take longer to fix this than write a post, but not much. Seriously, this is a good DIY job if you're comfortable on a roof. Pry the nails, slip the old shingle out, put in a new one, nail it in place and then put some of the blackjack where you've lifted a shingle to help seal them down.

Old 06-21-07, 09:46 AM
Thanks for the posts.

I was so paranoid about getting this fixed before the rain starts again, I just reapplied the torn off shingle with the Black Jack.

Replacing the shingle doesn't look hard like you guys have said. I went to Lowes to try and find a matching color shingle, but no luck. They have a very similar color, Terra Cotta, but it's not an exact match. I know it will be harder to find the matching one since this roof has been weather beaten.

I am going to wait till the weather clears up, and replace these the proper way.

Old 06-21-07, 10:01 AM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Mark, I sure wish we had some of your rain here in central Alabama!!

Old 06-21-07, 11:25 AM
It has been raining here for two weeks.

I guess if I viewed the main page of the site, there are directions on how to repair shingles. lol

http://www.doityourself.com/stry/h2shingle

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: