What cause this wood damage and can it be easily fix?

Old 07-05-07, 11:47 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Smile What cause this wood damage and can it be easily fix?

Hello,

I am interested in purchasing a home with some wood damage. To a untrained eye (such as mine) it does not appear to be a reason not to purchase. Did I mention my untrained eye? Well, I am including some pictures, could you please give me some information as to what may have caused this and if it can be easily corrected and if it will cost me to much money to make the needed repairs? Here is the web address of my pictures-->
http://www.flickr.com/photos/9691461@N03/show/
Take a looke at them and give me your thoughts.

Thanks,

Ms. Fixerupper ****

Old 07-05-07, 01:38 PM
Group Moderator
Received 249 Upvotes on 201 Posts
Looks like simple water damage from run-off over the edge of the roof. What you may have is a problem with the first row or two of shingles that is allowing the water to get in behind the fascia boards and to the soffit. Doesn't look overly serious, but depends on what the rest of the roof looks like. If it needs a new roof anyway, the damage could be fixed at the same time and not add very much to the cost.

Old 07-05-07, 09:03 PM
M
Smile Wood damage?

Hello The Tow Guy,

Thank you for responding and for your input. I plan to visit the property again tomorrow. I spoke with the Realtor today and she stated that the seller had a couple of bids prepared for the repair for around $2250.00. The bid cost includes the removal of the rotted wood, the replacement of new wood and painting. How does that proposal sound to you? What do you think needs to be done as a preventative measure for the future?

Thanks,

Old 07-06-07, 08:07 AM
I
You need to inspect the rest of the roof. It looks like to me that they did a subpar job roofing it because the overhang isn't sufficient, and I don't see any metal flashing present. I'd ask them to re-roof entire house and replace all rotten decking, facia wood and soffits. The facia wood should be pressure treated so it'll withstand the elements, and also add in painting costs. If they want to sell bad enough they'll fix problems.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: