Newly installed skylight leaking!

Old 07-05-07, 01:54 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Newly installed skylight leaking!

Hi,

About a month ago I had a brand new Velux skylight installed, with a new flashing kit.

This skylight replaced an existing skylight. The previous skylight had a major leak at the bottom right corner and sheathing just next to it was rotting out (mushy - when you stepped on it - it gave way).

In addition to replacing the skylight, the contractor replaced the rotting sheathing, the ice and water layer, and two layers of shingles, from the edge of the skylight to the edge of the roof (not the gutter).

Anyway, since the installation, I'm noticing another leak - but in a different place. What is happening is that the water is leaking in the upper right hand corner, under the original wood trim of the skylight (the contractors added a new layer of custom wood triming above the old). Actually, the water is traveling some length down the right side (the side with the new roof, plus flashing) and dripping at various points. Originally I was seeing a brown sticky substance, now I'm seeing water..

I'm guessing there is a problem with the new flashing or possibly I have a water issue higher up on the roof (there is a chimney about 6 ft above the skylight), that is traveling underneath the new roof and leaking at the skylight... So possibly my previous fix, solved the rotting damage, but not the original leak?

Would love some input!!

thanks,

Chris

Old 07-06-07, 09:42 AM
I
Call him back out first, since he did the new install he'll be familiar with it and should have guaranteed this work. If there's another leak, he can advise and prolly fix it.

Old 07-26-07, 04:15 PM
C
Update

Thanks...

I worked with the contractor and resolved the issue this week. Turns out the leak was above the skylight.. The contractor brought me on the roof and showed me the leak (no small feat!).

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: