Mold on basement paneling

Old 07-14-07, 10:28 AM
henryjen
Visiting Guest
Mold on basement paneling

I just noticed I had some mold on a piece of paneling. My house is 60 years old, in Delaware. We generally don't have issues with getting water in the basement. I pulled the panelling off of the wall and saw that in the corner, water has been able to seep through the mortor joints and on to the wood and panelling.
I just got a quote from a basement water proofing company, and they recommended that we put in a drain system inside the house and pump any water out as it comes in. They will also paint with sealing paint on the walls. The quote for the job was $5,000.00.
Is this technique what I should be looking at or do I need to looking at a repair on the outside?
Thanks,

Henry

Old 07-15-07, 07:21 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Make sure your downspouts and gutters are free and clear. Add extensions as needed to the bottom of the downspouts to carry the water as far away from the house as possible. See if this slows and eventually stops the excess water from seeping. Gutter extensions cost around $3.00 @ HDepot

If the seeping is constant and has nothing to do with the weather (i.e. only leaks after it rains), then it sounds to me that it is a watertable issue and a sump pump would assist. But it seems to me that if it was a watertable issue, you would get leaks in multiple areas not just one.

Now that you have discovered it, watch it and keep a record of how it behaves. This will help make sense of it all when someone comes out and offers to relieve you of $5K.

A little mold can form overnight, if this has been a cronic problem and happening for a long time, you would see wood rot on the paneling in addition to mold.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: