Sloped yard causing water damage

Old 07-23-07, 08:01 AM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I just bought a house that has a long sloped yard that drains water right into the foundation of the house... I want to divert the water because it has caused damage in the past.... any ideas? I was thinking building up the soil for about 6 feet from the foundation to divert the water around the house... any suggestions on how exactly to do this or anything I should watch out for

any info or ideas is definitely appreciated!

thanks

Cory

Old 07-23-07, 09:00 AM
C
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Just a couple of thoughts . . .

I am by far not an expert on this situation, but our house is built on a slope where water comes in from the high side . . . after having several companies come out to look at the situation, we finally had an interior french drain type system installed (don't know if I can name the company) that does a great job of catching the water and diverting it to a sump pump which then pumps the water out. So far, we haven't had any standing water in the crawl space like we use to. Not sure how the system works, something about hydro something pressure, but it works none the less.
Also, on the high side of the house we added some additional soil and built it up about 6" with a gradual slope to help divert some of the water. We're still having some humidity issues in the crawl space, but nothing like we use to have, and even with hard rains, etc., the french drain system does a great job of keeping the water from building up in the crawl space.
Also, we installed those ugly black pipes to the ends of our gutters (the gutters use to dump water directly to the foundation) and that's helped divert rain water away from the foundation.

Old 07-23-07, 09:20 AM
P
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
thanks for the info!... I was thinking of just trying the sloped soil as you talked about but maybe I should look into a drainage system... any ideas on what you paid for that?

thanks again

cory

Old 07-23-07, 10:15 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post

Are you concerned with surface drainage and shedding the water or trying to keep the water out of a basement?

For surface drainage, what you desribe will work if you have a drainage path around your home to an outlet (drainage ditch, manhole, city strom sewer or cueb and gutter) or to a rock/draiange pit that will have limited capacity. The key is to control the slopes so the ditch does not become and ugly moat.

If you are trying to keep water out of a basement, a interior or exterior drain (costly) is possible after you have done all the steps necessary for exterior water control (gutters, downspout extensions, etc.).

Dick

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: