gutter filters???

Old 08-04-07, 10:51 AM
M
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
gutter filters???

Hi,
Ive recently seen ads for "gutter filters"- leafdefier is opne brand name-a foam filter that is placed int the gutter channel-it lets the water filter through to the gutter, but keeps debris out. (so says the ad).

Anyone have any experience with these??
thanks,
Mike

Old 10-09-07, 01:53 PM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hello Mike.
I too am looking for feedback on the foam insert "gutter filter" system. My situation is a tremendous amount of fir needles clogging the gutters. Have you heard anything?

Old 10-09-07, 02:01 PM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Upon taking a look at the foam gutter filters at http://www.gutterstuffneo.com/index.htm in theory they sound good, but leaves and needles would simply pile up on top of the filter. You can read their warranty here: http://www.gutterstuff.com/

Old 01-01-08, 04:35 PM
H
Gutter Filter

This is probably "dated" a little late from your August post, but I saw this product (www.gutterfilter.com) at a local garden center (Long Island, NY, July 2004). At that time the price was $8/foot. Basically black foam (treated???) Outrageous . Anyone could install this after trimming foam to the gutter profile. Foam is not expensive. Putting the ladder up and putting the foam in is probably the cost of Labor and Profit.

Big leaves might blow off but needles will just cling and stick in the foam and BUILD-UP up in time.

Myself, I'm torn between GUTTER HELMET (also pricey$$$), and paying $50+ (35')/service, to have the gutters cleaned twice a year. Now, Dec 30, and again if needed in late spring.

Old 07-04-08, 12:42 PM
V
No to Gutter Filter

I had Gutter Filter installed on 10/04 and have never been satisfied. At least four times a year I have had to climb on the roof to clean out the gutters. The wind does not pick up the debris and blow it away. The valleys are consistently clogged with matter causing the gutters to overflow with any amount of rain.
I installed this product so I would not have to climb on my roof. The company is not interested in sending anyone to see about my problem, but insists I cut a one foot section out of the installation ( thus ruining it) and send it to them for "evaluation". When I bought the product I was told if at any time I was unhappy I should call my contractor and he would come out to clean the gutters. I have called but he is out of business. The parent company is uninterested in making a home inspection with another contractor.
Bottom line...the product really does not work as advertised

Old 07-04-08, 01:21 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,262 Upvotes on 1,203 Posts
My parents installed Gutter Helmet a few years ago after the old man fell off the roof cleaning out the gutters. They have no complaints.

Old 07-04-08, 02:03 PM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Mitch...you weren't taking care of that for him? j/k

Old 07-04-08, 03:19 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,262 Upvotes on 1,203 Posts
Nope. Mom came home and found him in the living room groaning in pain - he had five broken ribs and a broken collar bone. None of us go on the roof any more if we can help it.

Old 07-04-08, 03:40 PM
W
In principle, all of these patented ideas should work. But they somehow don't work, not always.

I rehung and put screening on my gutters, it took me one hour per foot of gutter and, again, one downspout is clogged.
Sometimes a garden hose can blast out the clog, sometimes not.
Can't snake it so I'm thinking detachable downspouts.

Old 08-12-08, 12:38 PM
D
bad bad gutter filters

Hi guys. I am not computer literate, but I finally figured out how to air my grievances about gutterfilter. I have had one for about 4 years, troubles began after year one. Installation company just wants to put in new "improved" filter and charge me 75 dollars, but the pine needles will still cause the dumb thing to overflow like mad I am sure. Then they will want me to pay another 75 dollars to try try again. There is no real warrany on this product. It might be a good thing if you don't have pine trees though. But sure is false advertising. I have talked to numerous people numerous times, and this is the end result.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: