Removing Gutters - How?

Old 08-06-07, 02:27 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Removing Gutters - How?

Greetings -

I discovered this weekend that we had a little friend in the attic of our 1928 bungalow (a roof rat). I trapped the little guy - so now he's gone, however I want to secure our house against any further invasions.

Our home has soffits on it that have openings just above the gutters - they range from nearly closed to about 1" open - perfect for Mr. Rat.

So, I want to pull off our gutters, and go around the house, sealing off the soffits with glavanized flashing - then put them back up. I've used expanding foam in most of the cracks already - as a precaution - however I want to lock them off totally - and will then install soffitt vents on the undersides to vent the space.

Question: What is the best way of pulling off gutters so that they can be re-installed again after I do the flashing?

Thanks,
Sean

Sponsored Links
Old 08-06-07, 02:46 PM
Wink

If it is up with the spikes you can cut them and check for nails in the back of the gutter. that should get the gutter pff for you. If you are gioing to flash there for the holes. Id put the new gutter up then the new flash from the roof down into the new gutter some. So water cant get behind the gutter. cant you put the new flashing up with the gutter up there now. As I said it should go into the gutter some.

Old 08-06-07, 04:13 PM
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Removing Gutters

If you have the spikes and want to pull them out, cut a block of wood which will fit inside the gutter with just enough space to place the claws of you hammer between the block and the front edge of the gutter. Then pull the spike out as you would an ordinary nail. Good luck with your project.

Old 08-07-07, 10:40 AM
Cool - thanks both of you.

The overhang of the starter course of shingles is far enough that I should not have any water intrusion issues - although I'll check again. I just want to block these areas off permanently (and don't want to run the risk of the little bas$$#%ds pushing their way underneath it and into the crack...).

Thanks again -

- Sean