shingle roof life

Old 08-11-07, 07:36 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Wink shingle roof life

My house was stick built in 1992 and I had traditional shingles put on it at the time. I believe they were rated at the time to be 30 year life, but I also am of the understanding, they never last that long. We live in norhthern lower Michigan and gets lots of snow.

I have had a couple shingles come off due to weather and wind. I have always replaced them. I am starting to see some of my neighbors have new shingles/roof replaced already and these are houses built after mine.

My question is this. How long should these shingles actually last before needing replacment? My family and I don't know how much longer we will continue to live here, so I would like to avoid replacing them if I have to. And if I do, any idea on what a new tar shingle roof should cost (labor to remove old, install new and materials)?

I am also hearing a lot of ads these days for metal roofs that are supposed to look just like a traditional shingle. It sounds like these metal roofs are about double the price of a traditional tar shingle roof. Is that correct? If so, it sounds like if I plan on moving inside of 10 years to another house, I should just go with the tar shingle and let the next guy worry about a metal one. Is that a valid assumption?

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks.

Old 08-11-07, 08:52 PM
Yes, that is a valid assumption. If your shingles were put on in 1992 as you said, they have alot of life left in them. A 30 year shingle will last a good 20 years. Many replace their shingles every 15 years wheather they need to or not. Its a style thing. You sound like a pretty sensible guy, so I would just think about the whole thing. Now if they last another 5 years with no problems, and you decide to move. And the home inspector or appraiser says they need to be replaced, replace with asphalt shingles. If they don't say anything about the roof, well then you have saved yourself alot of money. Just my thoughts.

Old 08-11-07, 09:38 PM
B
Again thanks

I appreciate your input. Like I said in my original post, I watched three neighbors replace roofs younger than mine. In one case, I know the guy who owned the house (and also built it) put a cheap roof on his house because he knew he was going to sell in three years. He has built 3 houses and moved in and out of them already; trying to build up equity.

The other two probably didn't need them, but one guy changed the (color of) siding, so that is probably why he went to a new roof - different color.

Old 08-12-07, 10:59 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Red face

I feel your pain.

I bought my home 2 years ago and the previous owners said they replaced the roof 3 years prior (5 yrs ago). I've had shingles tear off and end up in my neighbors yard and alot of them have the nails that hold them down, popping up.

Since I don't know who installed the roof, or even who made the shingles, how would anyone get warranty replacement?

It seems like the manufacturers know this and thats why they offer such long warranties.

I tend to keep a tube or two of Black Jack and just keep patching the old pieces back on.......

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: