Help Needed - Safely installing #15 Felt Paper on Roof

Old 08-12-07, 08:53 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Help Needed - Safely installing #15 Felt Paper on Roof

Building a garage with a 5/12 pitch roof. I installed Paper on one side. Now I'm preparing to install paper on the other. Installing from bottom to top, i would not seem very safe to walk on the stappled paper as would be required. Seemed like paper has a tendency to slip, become unfastence with my weight on it.... (I'm stapling every 12" or so as well) . IDEAS and suggestions would be appreciated.

Old 08-12-07, 10:54 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I'm not a pro, so you can take this with a grain of rice.

Could you work from above the paper, meaning be ahead of the first row?

Not sure if that makes sense or not....just an idea. You would be working facing down the pitch.......

Old 08-12-07, 11:07 AM
nap
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
you can istall cleats to support you (simply a 2 X nailed to the roof and used like a step basically) or you can aquire a safety harness and lanyard and attach it to the roof to arrest your fall should it happen.

Old 08-12-07, 01:40 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,900 Upvotes on 1,706 Posts
A 5:12 pitch should not be too steep to be hazardous. You say you are stapling. Cap nails are better than staples, and are much more safe on roofs where the pitch is becoming more steep. Hammer staplers are best for temporary tacking of tar paper, and on low pitch roofs and walls.

When laying tarpaper, if I'm above it (such as laying the first course of tarpaper) I will put cap nails on the top edge of the tar paper, then reach down and put some in the middle of the tarpaper, then step down onto that secured area to put in the bottom cap nails. Once you do that, you move out to the sides to finish nailing off the felt.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: