Flashing gap after old siding removal

Old 08-22-07, 08:12 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Flashing gap after old siding removal

We're in the middle of getting our house resided and we've run into an issue with roof flashing. With 3 layers of siding removed (aluminum over asbestos shingles over tar paper over wood clapboards) and only 1 layer (Hardi Plank) going back up, areas of the house where roofing meets vertical walls will have a gap (I think it's about a 1-1/2" gap) that the existing flashing can't bridge.

Here's a diagram that will hopefully help visualize what I'm talking about:
http://homepage.mac.com/tonyagoodnow/house/flashing_issue.gif

The siding installers are basically scratching their heads as if this is the first time they've ever encountered this problem. So I'm afraid if I leave it to them to figure out, we're going to end up with a leaky roof. Any suggestions on how this should be handled?

Old 08-22-07, 11:40 AM
Group Moderator
Received 854 Votes on 782 Posts
This is a great example of why tearing off is always better than going over the top of siding with layer upon layer. It's too bad all the previous guys who worked on your siding never came to that same conclusion.

The best thing to do is to remove a row of shingles all the way up the roof where it meets that wall, then patch in with new shingles that are long enough to cover that gap, each row of shingles being individually step flashed to the sheathing as they are applied. A counter flashing could be installed over the upper (vertical part) of these step shingles if needed. Hardiplank needs to be kept 2" above the roof as per their instructions, so 2" of flashing will be visible underneath the siding. (See clearances, figure 5, and Kickout flashing, figure 7 at the link below)

The alternative solution, provided the existing step flashing is still intact, would be to install a 2x2 (something to fill the void between the sheathing and the step flashing that would act like a skirt board) which would then need to be flashed with a custom made counterflashing. (similar to the illustration in figure 6, at the link below) IMO, there would be a greater leak potential if this method was used.

Their official installation instructions are at:

http://www.jameshardie.com/homeowner/pdf/hardiplankinstall.pdf

Old 08-22-07, 11:54 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I was afraid of that. Roofing and flashing were never addressed in the contract and it never occurred to me that they should have been. Considering this company does roofing as well as siding (and they were told how much existing siding was up there when they bid on the job), they really should have brought this up before now!

Thanks very much for the info (you always seem to know, xsleeper!) -- at least now I know what should be done.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: