Can the old shingles be left on under new ones?

Old 09-05-07, 07:23 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Can the old shingles be left on under new ones?

I was recently told that we don't have to remove the old shingles, that we could shingle over them. What are your thoughts on this? We have hail damage and need a new roof. We plan to reshingle ourselves with some help.
Any safety tips you can give would also be appreciated.

Old 09-06-07, 05:44 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,273 Upvotes on 1,213 Posts
Sometimes you can leave the existing shingles and put another layer on top. With hail damage, I would not leave the old shingles, I'd rip off first.

Safety tips? Stay off the roof by hiring this done.

Old 09-07-07, 04:03 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

It is a DIY for sure.. Yes do take the old shingles off . Check all the wood then and fix it if need be.New felt ,might check code for it Some codes want 30lb now Then go at it with the new shingles . work safe.

Old 09-19-07, 10:17 AM
I
If you had hail damage call your insurance company. They should pay to have it torn off and re-roofed. You'll just pay the deductible....prolly the same as the ER visit after you fall off the roof doing it yourself!

Old 09-19-07, 02:45 PM
R
Take the old shingles off

If your shingles were damaged by hail then the felt is damaged too, in time the old shingles exposed to heat could begin to curle and push up on ther new shingles,Would you apply paint to an unprepared surface, same concept. plus you should replace the underlayment waterproofing felt for the same reason. Depending on your location, this will give you the opportunity to upgrade the underlayment membrane to a better water shield like a self adhering ice and watershield membrane. In addition to getting ride of an old deteriorated substrate in removing the damaged shingles you should inspect the roof deck for deterioration as well. but you do yourself a favor first by doing a search on the internet for the nearest roofing association to find yourself a good licensed contractor. this is dangerous work. It is very easy to slip on plywood or any wood surface or shingles too and find yourself in the hospital.

Last edited by stickshift; 09-19-07 at 05:19 PM. Reason: Removed email address

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: