water in basement

Old 09-09-07, 07:19 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
water in basement

I have noticed water in my basement leaking between the house frame and the foundation. The part of the foundation is above ground so I ruled out any water coming from the ground area. I noticed that rain water is leaking from the soffets in certain areas. I am wondering if rain water is getting behind the rain gutters and working it's way over to leak behind the vinyl siding and then down to the foundation. The gutters have gutter guards installed and I noticed that where it meets up with the shingle, the shingle is raised slightly. Can this be my problem and if so, how can I fix the problem? Is there a way I can check to verify that the rain water is indeed coming from the roof?

Old 09-09-07, 07:53 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
water in basement

It is obvious that the moisture brrier of your walls above the foundation has be compromised or is ineffective.

First, vinyl siding is NOT a primary moisture barrier. It only sheds rain and water can enter through (around, under and over) all the joints and at the various channels used for finishing. - Your wrap, which should extend below the top of the foundation, is your primary moisture barrier.

Apparently water has gotten behind the barrier. The most likely locations are around windows (installation errors are the most common source of wall moisture - 60% of windows are installed or flashed improperly), penertrations, lack of proper flashing at and above any brick veneer, lack of brick weeps, caulking of the siding and channels and failure of the moisture barrier to extend high enough on the wall.

This is just a strating list of places to check. Ones water gets behind the moisture barrier, it can move horizontally and show up inside a great distance from the real leak.

Dick

Old 09-09-07, 09:21 AM
J
Originally Posted by Concretemasonry
It is obvious that the moisture brrier of your walls above the foundation has be compromised or is ineffective.

First, vinyl siding is NOT a primary moisture barrier. It only sheds rain and water can enter through (around, under and over) all the joints and at the various channels used for finishing. - Your wrap, which should extend below the top of the foundation, is your primary moisture barrier.

Apparently water has gotten behind the barrier. The most likely locations are around windows (installation errors are the most common source of wall moisture - 60% of windows are installed or flashed improperly), penertrations, lack of proper flashing at and above any brick veneer, lack of brick weeps, caulking of the siding and channels and failure of the moisture barrier to extend high enough on the wall.

This is just a strating list of places to check. Ones water gets behind the moisture barrier, it can move horizontally and show up inside a great distance from the real leak.

Dick
Will I have to remove the siding to check the moisture barrier? I do not see a brick weep, can I drill one myself or does that need to be done professionally?

Old 09-09-07, 09:27 AM
J
leaky roof

Will I need to remove the siding to check on the moisture barrier? I looked around the brick and I do not see a water weer. Can I drill one myself or do I need to have it done professionally?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: