Rubber membrane roofing advice

Old 09-09-07, 06:42 PM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Rubber membrane roofing advice

I have a nearly-flat roofed garage that is currently leaking like a sieve. I was wondering if anyone can give me some advice on rubber roofing. Here are my questions:
1. Is rubber roofing a better fix than say re-building the roof with a greater pitch and re-rolling it?
2. If so, which type of roofing is better EPDM or PVC?
3. Which mil will be best, 45 or 60 (this is a private one car garage, 25' x 25')?
4. Which type of adhesive: latex or neoprene?
5. If re-building the roof is the better option, can anyone direct me to online directions? I'm not much of a carpenter.

Thanks for the advice. I love these forums!
Kim
(no, I'm not really mean)

Old 09-11-07, 06:58 AM
H
Disappointed

Hmmmm. Noone has any advice for me? Alright, I guess I'll figure it out on my own. It was worth a try. Thanks anyways for listening. Maybe next time. Best wishes all.
Kim
(still not mean)

Old 09-11-07, 07:27 AM
Roofers must be busy. I would definatly go rubber epdm. I'm not sure if the pvc has ever been a good choice. Usually the way it's put down is 1st an insulating styrofoam type board is put down then the rubber. Can't tell you what the adhesive is.
I had a roofer friend put a rubber roof on my moms house about 15 years ago and it's still like new.

Old 09-13-07, 02:57 PM
H
Thanks

Mattison,
Thanks for your advice. Guess the roofers are busy! Tis the season I guess. I am going with EPDM. Thanks again.
Kim

Old 09-16-07, 06:25 PM
Rubber roofs are fine. The larger the piece of rubber you can put on the better. Rubber roofing is heavy and not a one person job. It can be custom bought in several dimensions. You will need a 2 seam kits for each piece. It does work if applied properly. One problem is that it is kind of hard to work with and people get in a hurry and make a mistake. Thus a leak. It is far better then PVC. I have used EDPM and would use it again. Of course I like a metal roof better. It is less expensive and will not leak at all. Good Luck

Old 09-19-07, 01:42 PM
R
yourre-roofing

I have 30+ years in roofing, and have done similar jobs like the one you mention. Flat roofs are never a good idea, building pitch if you can afford it, will solve most problems your roof has to suffer under. EPDM has never been my choice of products, its black and gets very hot, chemicals are volitile to work with plus lap seaming is critical because those two to six inches, depending how much you allow for is all that protects you. I prefer the multiple plies of SBS polymer modified asphalt roofing like that offered by Siplast.com. Many other manufacturers have similar products, like those from Manville, GAF, and many of the EPDM manufacturers are also seeing this wisdom and many have SBS-modified asphalt multi-ply systems as well. the rolls are a little heavy but one person can carry them up the roof just make sure the ladder is properly tied off or supported by another person. The rolls are supplied either in self-stick backing or can be applied in a cold adhesive using a wide squeegee, very easy to do. the biggest benefit is the double ply protection of the two-ply system which holds up to ponding water better than any one-ply could ever hope for, plus puncture resistance is much better. Siplast can also provide an application video to help guide you. PVC gets very cold in winter and there has been an industry phenomenom of shattering, like when dropping a pane of glass, no exageration either, I've seen it, it is horrifying. EPDM roofs can blow off unless properly anchored at the perimeters just like popping a sheets over a bed. I don't like single-plies, period, bad roofing practices, but to each his own. the SBS-asphalt combination provides some self-sealing qualities I really like and have seen work, especially when other trades tend to trash the work areas on a roof from my industrial/institutional work experience.the mil thickness of the EPDM does not matter a whole lot, thicker might only give you longer membrane life, the important thing there is attention to the laps, and proper lap preparation using unleaded gas, Yeah, why take gas on a roof?Laps must be really clean to stay stuck, give yourself at least six inches and then caulk those edges real good. Go to your supply house and check out their SBS asphalt systems. That's where the commercial roofing market is going to protect their investments. Put you can never replace a good pitch on a roof, remove potential issues of live loads, like ponding water, weighs like a tank in large ponds, and snow, etc. Plus helps in resale value. Good luck and need any help, give me a write at rgkettle@sbcglobal.net.

Originally Posted by hermeanness
I have a nearly-flat roofed garage that is currently leaking like a sieve. I was wondering if anyone can give me some advice on rubber roofing. Here are my questions:
1. Is rubber roofing a better fix than say re-building the roof with a greater pitch and re-rolling it?
2. If so, which type of roofing is better EPDM or PVC?
3. Which mil will be best, 45 or 60 (this is a private one car garage, 25' x 25')?
4. Which type of adhesive: latex or neoprene?
5. If re-building the roof is the better option, can anyone direct me to online directions? I'm not much of a carpenter.

Thanks for the advice. I love these forums!
Kim
(no, I'm not really mean)

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: