Low Pitch Roof Questions

Old 09-10-07, 07:34 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Low Pitch Roof Questions

I have a low pitch roof (less than 2/12 - actually about 1 1/2" /12"). This roof is over my addition, which is 20 x 40 ft. in size. We have had drip drip leakage for several years and decided to get some estimates for repair, not replacement since it was shingled only 8 yrs. ago. We got three estimates and all said that the shingling job was done incorrectly - not overlapped enough - and a re-roofing was in order. 2 of the experts said they would only do roll roofing on this roof. The other proposed roll also but gave us an alternative of reshingling but only after covering 100% of the roof with ice shield. This alternative is actually cheaper so we like it but worry that we will be back with the same problem with shingles on our low pitch roof. Is roll roofing more "bullet-proof" in this application? Roll roofing is more expensive and seems to be warranted for less time so we are leaning against it. We are in NE Illinois and get plenty of bad weather. Opinions seem mixed on this site in most apps but how bout this one? Thanx and this is a KILLER site for info!

Old 09-10-07, 08:21 PM
Ice and frost on the whole roof and then shingles would probably work. However, if I were doing it I would put on a metal roof. Have done alot of these on low pitch roofs. The good thing about metal is that you can get it cut to any length, and there are no seams down the roof. It is about the same cost as a good shingled roof. Maybe a little higher, but they do not leak. Just my thoughts.

Old 09-10-07, 09:55 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,262 Upvotes on 1,203 Posts
Does it leak in the summer, winter or both?

Old 09-28-07, 07:40 PM
A
Low Pitch Roof Questions

Thanks for the responses...Metal...never thought of that. I guess by the lag to answer you can see I am dragging my feet on the decision. However to answer - mainly leaks in the warm weather during heavy rains. Cold weather/melting snow does not produce much leaking. Thanx

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: