Age of Asphalt Shingles

Old 09-13-07, 10:27 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Age of Asphalt Shingles

I bought a house recently and there were 3 bundles of asphalt shingles in the garage. I'm not sure how old they are, but I'm wondering how much shingles age if they just sit in a pile.
-Luther

Old 09-13-07, 11:29 AM
S
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Its a Day to Day Thing

To answer your inquiry--"how much shingles age if they just sit in a pile"--For each day they sit, they get a day older.

Seriously, shingles deteriorate when they are exposed to the elements such as wind, rain, sun, heat and cold.

If they are sitting in a pile in a garage and the gargage doesn't get brutally hot and make the sealing tabs stick together, then they should be fine.

The only issue is that these are probably leftovers from a roof on your property and they won't match, because your current roof has probably faded while the ones in the garage are the original color.

Obviously these could be used in a pinch for shingles that are blown off in a storm, but you will see the difference once they are installed.

Old 09-13-07, 02:57 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 840 Upvotes on 737 Posts
Years ago I traded with a guy at work for some left over shingles for my shop roof. The only real difference I noticed between the "old" bundles and the new ones was the old ones needed a little care when peeling them off of the stack so they didn't rip. One direction they came off easily, the other direction was tricky or rippy

Once the roof was shingled you couldn't tell which shingles I got 'used' and which were bought new.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: