shingle roof hail damage

Old 09-15-07, 04:03 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
shingle roof hail damage

Our roof has the architectual style shingles that were installed around 5 years ago.
Rescently we had a hail storm with hail that lasted about 5 min or so with the largest hail stones around 1inch in diameter.Our ins. adjuster said we had damage to the attached garage roof and one slope of the house.
I checked where they said and there are some spots about the size of a pencil diameter, around 10 total.The insurance co. wants to replace sections and not the whole area off house and garage.If damage is present should all be replaced instead of disturbing other shingles to work into new / old ones?And if not, what about I just filling the small exposed 10 spots with a butyl roof sealer and covering with loose granules.For about 1hr of walking and repairing I could pocket the money.I know it sounds like a cheap a&& but on a 200,000 house and replaceing partial shingles sound pretty cheap too.I or the Insurance co. is gonna come out ahead and I prefere me.

Old 09-15-07, 09:21 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,182 Upvotes on 1,140 Posts
My parents had a nasty storm rip through their neighborhood a couple years ago and everyone had roof damage. All the people who had a particular insurance company (that I will refrain from naming) got their roof repaired. Everyone else got their roof replaced.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: