50 year shingles, but thin....

Old 09-21-07, 11:08 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
50 year shingles, but thin....

I am replacing my roof, and two contractors have shown me a 50 year shingle (by atlas - 'stormmaster'). But the shingle looks very thin to me. I had one of the contractors measure the shingle with his gauge and it looked like it was 'less than a 30 year'.

I called the manufacturor and they said that their shingles didn't need to be thick because they were flexible.

Is this real, or should a 50 year be thicker than a 30 or 40 year shingle? I just want a good shingle.

Thanks in advance for your help.

John

Old 09-21-07, 07:56 PM
When choosing shingles, the first question should be what do you want your shingle to do. This depends on the part of the country you live in. The thicker heavy shingles are what are called wind shingles. You can get them for winds up to 140 mph. However, if you are not in a high wind area, then you want a shingle that will keep out the rain. A 50 year shingle may not be any thicker then a 35 year shingle. It is not the thickness that makes a shingle last longer then another one. It is the amount of fiberglass in the shingle. A manufacturer would call it flexibility because that is correct.
My question is why would you want a 50 year shingle ? 50 year shingles are expensive and are usually used on apartments or hotels. Hope this helps.

Old 09-24-07, 11:01 AM
J
Former 40 yr , future ?

Thanks for the response. My existing roof has 40 year shingles. At least this is what my insurance adjustor said. But the statement was based on the thickness of the shingle. The contactor told me that they would replace the existing roof with the 50 year shingles at the same price as a 40 year. According to the manufacturor, these shingles are rated at 110 mph wind with a 'class4 impact rating', however they seem very thin... I am not knowledgeable enough to tell the difference, which brings me to your door. So, thin is not a problem.

In our area (DFW TX) wind is not that big of an issue, but rain & hail are problems.

Thanks again for any insight.

John

Old 09-24-07, 04:49 PM
The shingle they recommended will work just fine. Good Luck

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: