Florida New Roofing Law

Old 09-23-07, 02:54 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Florida New Roofing Law

I live in the Tampa Bay area of Florida and yesterday read in the newspaper that Florida has passed a new roofing law that will increase the cost of re-roofing in the State by 25%. Can anyone tell me why it would cost 25% more when this law goes into effect? Thanks for any info, Geo.

Old 09-23-07, 04:49 PM
Group Moderator
Received 251 Upvotes on 203 Posts
Florida Building Code

The Florida Building Commission recently adopted the 2007 Florida Building Code. The effective date of the Code is October 1, 2008. The new edition of the Code will now be printed and should be available before the beginning of 2008.

Hurricane Mitigation Retrofits

Pursuant to Section 553.833 of Florida Statutes, strengthening of existing site-built, single-family homes is now required under certain conditions. Below is a listing of specific circumstances in which mitigation is required:

1. When a roof on an existing site-built, single family residential structure is replaced. Roof-decking attachment and fasteners must be strengthened and corrected as required by the 2007 Manual of Hurricane Mitigation Retrofits for Existing Site-Built Single Family Residential Structures (The Guide,) Section 201.1. A secondary water barrier should be provided as required by section 201.2 of The Guide.

2. When a roof is replaced on a building that is located in the wind-borne debris region as defined in section 1609.2 of the Florida Building Code, Building and that has an insured value of $300,000 or more or, if the building is uninsured or for which documentation of insured value is not presented, has a just valuation for the structure for purposes of ad valorem taxation of $300,000 or more: a) Roof to wall connections shall be improved as required by section 201.3 of The Guide, b) Mandated retrofits of the roof-to-wall connection shall not be required beyond a 15 percent increase in the cost of re-roofing, c) Where complete retrofits of all the roof-to-wall connections as prescribed in Section 201.3 of The Guide would exceed 15 percent of the cost of the re-roofing project, the priorities outlined in Section 201.3.5 shall be used to limit the scope of work to the 15 percent limit.

3. When any activity requiring a building permit that is applied for on or after July 1, 2008, and for which the estimated cost is $50,000 or more for a building that is located in the wind borne debris region as defined in s. 1609.2 of the Florida Building Code, Building and that has an insured value of $750,000 or more, or, if the building is uninsured or for which documentation of insured value is not presented, has a just valuation for the structure for purposes of ad valorem taxation of $750,000 or more: a) Opening protections as required within the Florida Building Code, Building or Florida Building Code, Residential for new construction shall be provided.

4. When retrofit enhancement of gable end bracing is provided during construction which otherwise requires a permit, the techniques in Appendix A of The Guide shall be allowed.

Old 09-23-07, 06:13 PM
Unbelievable

If I have to do all those things to simply replace my roof I might as well move out of the State of Florida because I couldn't afford it.

Old 09-23-07, 07:27 PM
I have a crew in Florida that has been doing just roofs for over a year. 90% of the new code we have been doing for over a year now. Not a problem.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: