Tin/metal roof questions

Old 09-25-07, 04:59 AM
O
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Tin/metal roof questions

I have a small straight boring gable end to gable end house that I want to reroof with tin over the existing shingles

Is there a resource site for info on this retro fit(?)

A roofer acquaintance has told me that it would be no more difficult than the tin roof I installed on the 16x20 shed I build in the back yard and that the construction of that shed showed that I had at least the minimum skill level necessary to do the job

I just lack the education

As far as I can tell I have to put in purlins at 24 or 16 inches and a new drip edge that extends down past the existing drip edge if I don't want to remove the existing DE

What is the minimum gauge metal that I have to use?

What is a good source for this metal?

What are the Florida codes regarding how the purlins are fastened to the roof and what fasteners are used?

Old 09-26-07, 05:49 AM
In answer to your questions - in order:

1- Check with your local building inspector

2- Check with local building supply businesses and roofing
contractors.

3- See #1 above.

Old 09-26-07, 05:57 PM
O
1)
Wouldn't answer any questions until after I submitted the plans (on the shed) and rejected them with a letter asking me to correct certain things new codes) but giving no reference as to where i could find those corrections
2)
Looking for something more cost effective than the box stores roofing roofers I taled to would order the product at a mark up after inspecting my home

3) see 1

That's why I came here

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: