Roofing Safety

Old 10-02-07, 11:12 PM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Roofing Safety

I have a safety harness, lanyard with a brake, and a rope grab. I need an anchor point to attach my life line. I have a cedar shake roof (to be replaced with a metal roof in about a year). Roof anchors that are attached with nails and or screws look as if they may leak. I would like to use anchor points bolted into my concrete foundation. The foundation is six inches thick. The anchor point manufacturer’s instructions say to drill holes three inches deep, which is no problem, the instructions also say the concrete must have a strength of at least 3000 psi. I have no clue what my foundation strength is.
Questions: Can a roof anchor be made water tight on an old shake roof? Or, how can I verify the strength of my foundation?

Old 10-03-07, 07:43 PM
Your concrete foundation is probably 4000 psi. Most are. We just secure our rope to the bumper of a pickup, and up over the top with the rope. Good Luck

Old 10-03-07, 07:59 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 821 Upvotes on 720 Posts
Originally Posted by Jack the Contractor
We just secure our rope to the bumper of a pickup, and up over the top with the rope.

Ya, that's what I always did back when I was younger and painted a lot of metal roofs. I used to always leave the keys in the switch until someone asked what if..........

Old 10-03-07, 08:25 PM
I always have the truck shut off in park, locked up, and the key in my pocket. I try to get rid of the what ifs.

Old 10-04-07, 06:28 AM
W
Received 63 Upvotes on 55 Posts
Life Line

If you are lucky enough to have trees in the yard at the right spots, use them. Will require longer life line.

I agree with Jack; using a vehicle as an anchor point requires tight security. And hope some nut does not "hot wire" it and drive away. God luck with your project.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: