Fascia Replacement after New Roofing

Old 10-05-07, 01:32 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Fascia Replacement after New Roofing

We have agreed with a roofer to put a new roof on our house and the wood fascia is old - not rotten but does not hold paint or stain any more. We would like to do the fascia also but it is not in our budget at the current time. Seeing the roof leaks, we need the roofing now but want to do the fascia later. Is it feasible or possible to replace/cover the fascia after the new roof is on? My neighbor says no - then you would need to replace the new drip edge again. I have read on this site about covering with aluminum and my wife wants us to cover it with cement board. Any thoughts ideas? Thanks

Old 10-05-07, 01:42 PM
C
I just did this on my garage. If you want to remove the old, it will be much easier before you put on new dripedge. Otherwise, you risk bending it.

If you're just covering it with aluminum or vinyl you can do that after the roof is put on. The fascia will just slide in under the drip edge. I did that so my new fascia wouldn't get beat up by the roofers.

As for covering with the cement board, the added thickness would be a problem after the fact. If you want to replace it with a non-wood product, I'd look into the PVC trim they sell now.

If cost is a concern, the easiest thing to do is cover up the old wood with aluminum or vinyl after the roof is done. This is assuming the wood is solid.

Old 10-05-07, 04:31 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,646 Upvotes on 1,474 Posts
It would be easier to do it now... but it's not impossible to do later. A skilled carpenter would have no problem removing and replacing the fascia after your new roof and gutter apron has been installed without causing any damage to either the roof or the flashing.

Just don't put up any nice new gutters until you've got the fascia replaced or covered (whichever route you decide to go.) Like Chandltp mentioned, covering it with trim coil is probably the least expensive way to go, unless you want to be able to paint the trim in the future. Some people prefer to paint so they can change colors now and then.

It could be that your current paint job is not lasting because of poor surface preparation and primer, or perhaps a leaky roof edge is causing moisture buildup in the wood near the roof edge.

Old 10-06-07, 08:32 PM
A
Thanks for the replies!

We have tried scraping, sanding, etc. and good primers and paints but usually these only last 2-3 years before the paint starts flaking. The fascia appear to be original to the house (38 years). Also being in the upper Midwest we get pretty severe hots and cold extremes weatherwise.

I will probably go the aluminum route. However another idea - awaiting the roofer to call me back...could we ask the roofer to leave a space with the new drip edge (about 1/4") for the cement board to fit under the drip edge and cover the old wood fascia?

Thanks

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: