New water leak around attic vent fan.

Old 10-08-07, 06:43 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
New water leak around attic vent fan.

Im sure my roof needs replacing. My house was built in 94 and the crazy Texas weather has torn into it pretty good. I did have zero leaks until I recently heard a tapping on top of a recess can that turned out to be a water drip. I found it coming from the attic fan vent. I dont know how these are insalled but it looks as if its just layed on top of hte roof. I can lift it up and see day ligt. Do I need to seal around this thing with something? Are there any pictures of proper attic fan installation? I replaced both motors last year and the leak just started last week. Thanks for any advice.

Old 10-08-07, 08:45 AM
K
The fan should have flashing. This flashing should be tucked under the shingles at the top side and over the shingles on the bottom side. If it's "just laying on top of the roof" then I suspect the top part is not properly tucked under the shigles, causing your water leak.

Old 10-08-07, 12:44 PM
C
I suspect your right. I will go and check but from what im reading they should have used some roofing mastic under the flashing and there is none. I will make sure its under the shingles and I know dirt has built up under the flashing also. I will clean this out and applying some roofing mastic to see if this fixes it.

Old 10-08-07, 01:27 PM
K
Sounds like a good plan. Good roofing practices should never rely on roof compound sealer. The compound is only used to enhance a proper job and prevent wind-born rain intrusion.

Old 10-08-07, 01:36 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

Lost here. On the roof vent fans they have no flashing. The main unit slips up under the shingles. On both sides and at the top. The bottom of it is on top of that shingle. Might also look at the main cover . Some come lose and blow up in a storm to let water in.

Old 10-09-07, 07:39 AM
C
Got on the roof yesturday and the vent fan was slid up under the shingles. I could not see where a leak would be coming from so I lifted up the roof vent and laid down some sealer around it and just under the shingles that cover the top area. There was no sealer orginally used. Ill see what happens the next time it rains.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: