Repair Metal Roofing Valley

Old 10-10-07, 11:17 AM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Repair Metal Roofing Valley

I have a metal valley where two roofs meet. A branch has fallen and puntured a hole in the metal. It is about the size of a golf ball. How do I go about repairing? Appreciate any advise.

Old 10-10-07, 11:20 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

Too do it right Id say solder a smalll metal patch over it.

Old 10-10-07, 12:04 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Valley Splice

We do not know the type or condition of the metal, so I would not attempt to solder it.
Performing a "Splice" Its a fairly simple repair, Purchase a small roll of valley metal at the local Big Box store 18"-24" in width.
Remove the roofing material either side of the valley to expose the entire width of the metal. Remove the damaged peice by cutting the metal side to side, so your left with a 2" to 3" strip of the valley missing. cut an approximate 24"to 30" long peice off your new roll. insert it a minimum of 12" up under the upslope side of the valley, and over-lay the remaining on the down slope side. (you will need to selectivly remove nails above your splice to get it in and have it lay flat)
Re-install roofing material in the reverse you removed them and replace any nails above that were removed.

Good Luck!

Old 10-10-07, 03:32 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,921 Upvotes on 1,725 Posts
Soldering would be a great idea if you could remove the valley and work on it in the garage. Soldering is a bad idea on your roof, as it will obviously get hot enough to catch the wood underneath the valley on fire!

Shinstr's advice is great.

If you want to first try something a little less involved that does not involve tearing up shingles at this point, that won't be as permanent of a solution but might last until the roof needs to be replaced... use a small piece of sheet metal just big enough to cover the hole, pop rivet it to the valley, then apply a generous helping of Geocel Watershield brushable sealant over the patch and the pop rivets. 2 applications might be necessary to give you a good seal. That goop is miraculous.

Another temporary fix might involve patching a piece of self-adhesive flashing membrane over the hole, then brush on some Geocel Watershield. But that would probably not be as durable.

Old 10-12-07, 05:42 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

I cant recall all the IC tin roofs that I have put on over the years. All seams on them have to be solder. Also large gravel guards. All solder right on the roof over 15 and 30 lb felt. With no fire.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: