flashing over flashing

Old 10-16-07, 04:31 AM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
flashing over flashing

Any down side to adding step flashing on top of existing step flashing assuming that it is lapped correctly? It's at a roof/wall meeting point and what I want to do is put the wall portion OVER the existing T1-11 (essentially plywood) siding while tucking the roof portion under the shingles. I will be re-siding in a month and will cover the wall portion.

I'm such a novice that I hate destroying the integrity of what is already there but the T1-11 rots at the bottom due to splash back. THis might be the time to fix that!

FOR CONTEXT: The new siding will go over the existing siding (3/8" PSF over the T1-11 and vinyl over that). The T1-11will essentially then become the underlayment. The wall is a second story wall and the garage pitch is roughly 5%. There exists some good step flashing up this meeting point with the wall edge tucked under the T1-11 and the roof edge (garage) tucked under the asphalt-ish-looking shingles.

Thanks for any help!

Old 10-16-07, 06:33 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,900 Upvotes on 1,706 Posts
The only drawback would be if you don't do it correctly it will leak!

Your bottom step shingle should likely be a kickout flashing (google "kickout flashing") to divert water toward the gutter and prevent it from going behind your vinyl siding. When the j-channel goes down next to the roof, keep it up about 3/4" by laying a board on the roof as a spacer between the shingles and the j-channel as you nail the j-channel on. Don't nail the step shingles to the siding- only to the roof. Makes replacement easier down the road. Your foam needs to cover the step shingles and needs to be a weather resistive barrier, since vinyl siding is not.

Old 10-18-07, 05:39 AM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
flashing over flashing

I want to say thanks!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: