Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Roofing, Gutters and All Waterproofing Anywhere
Reload this Page >

What is proper attic ventilation and how much is too much?

Old 10-16-07, 12:40 PM
Z
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I just bought an older home with various different roof ventilation systems installed. Do I need all of them, or just part of them?
Here is what was installed when I bought the home:
Both ends of the ranch style home have vents, triangular about 2' high by 4' long at base. A 2' diameter attice ventilation fan on the south end of home which is thermostically controlled. Ridge vent running almost entire lenght of the home, but no soffet vents are installed. Plus there is a house to attice ventilation fan installed in the hall way, which seems to let a lot of air back into the house from the attic.
I was thinking of taking the house to attic ventaltion fan out and sealing off the hole. Plus was told that with the ridge vent I should seal off the gable end vents and possibly remove the ventilation fan, but I see that as a benifit to help to push/pull air out when it get to a certain temp in attic.
Can anyone help to clear up what is really needed. I have read many posts, and have a good idea what should be done but not really sure the best approach.

Thank you,
Zman.

Old 10-17-07, 12:59 PM
Zman,
Location plays a big factor.
Ventilation is a ratio of attic floor space vs. intake and exhaust venting.
1/300 ventilation ratio in the south. (1sq ft venting per 300sq ft attic floor space.)
1/150 ventilation ratio in snow country. (1sq ft of venting per 150 sq ft of attic floor space.)

The "Whole House Fan" if the home is old enough probably pre-dates the air conditioning, on warm days you could open a lot of windows and turn it on to exhaust the stale air in the house and draw in fresh.

True ..the ridge vent and gable vents are most likely short circuiting each other

Old 10-18-07, 02:52 PM
Z
shinstr,

but would it be adviseable to remove the whole house fan? I am in the south (North Carolina) I just recently moved from the north (Ohio), so I know what your saying. But what I have noticed is that with the location of the whole house fan and the thermostat, the heat from the attic radiates down and keeps the ac on until it cools down the attic, which not only make the rest of the house cold, but also really runs up my electric bill. I am assuming it will be the same in the winter. I turned the fan on to try and help push the heat out, but without having windows open to pull through ventalation in the hosue, did not help, just pushed out the cool air.
I was just wondering if it would be better to close off the gable vents, install soffet vents and allow the ridge vent to work at it is supposed to, but still leave the attic fan to help with the heat build up. I have more that adiquate ventilation now, but not sure if I need so much.
Thanks for your help. I am just a bit confused, since this was the way it was done up north.

Thanks,
Zman.

Old 10-18-07, 07:38 PM
I think you have the right idea Zman.....
"...close off the gable vents, install soffit vents and allow the ridge vent to work at it is supposed to, but still leave the attic fan to help with the heat build up."

The gable fan should have an adjustable thermostat...set it about 90 and play with it a deg or five either way till its effective, but not running all the time either.

and I would suspect you can remove the whole house fan in its entirety if you wanted to...me, I would build a cover/plug for it on the attic side to seal it off when not in use, but would use it on cool sping and fall days and leave the a/c off!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: