rubber vs ice shield

Old 10-24-07, 07:20 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
rubber vs ice shield

I just put a small addition (8ft x 22ft) one story addition off the back of my house, with an very low pitch roof.
The architect spec'd a rubber membrane....then to cover it with shingles (just for asthetics).
However the roofers all tell me that it is just as good to cover the whole roof with an ice barrier, then shingles on top.
Is this correct? Thanks!

Old 10-24-07, 02:32 PM
Two questions...
1. How low is "Very Low"?
IMO..Between 1 in 12 up to 3 in 12 slope - shingles not recommended, you can pull it off however on a 2 or 3 with a full self adhering underlayment (Ice & Water)
3 in 12, - 4 in 12, double felt underlayment and/or full/partial ice and water guard depending on code requirements in your region for the ice dam protection.

2. In the specification, what specifically is the underlayment material product description? Rubber is too general and many times incorrectly associated with bitumen products.

Old 10-24-07, 02:55 PM
O
1 in 12 - what are the options ?

Hi,
I also have two flat roof areas 10'x26' and 40'x5 (that also can be used as a terraces/ balconies to walk on). Specified by the architect is EPDM. What are other material options so that one would not have to walk on the rubber membrane?

One of the roofers quoted me to roll shingles on it for now - and I was also wondering if water would drain that way ... the last comment from SHINSTR seems to confirm that it is not such a great idea ...
Thanks,
Olli

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: