Small leak in attic from roof

Old 10-26-07, 09:29 AM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Small leak in attic from roof

First, let me apologize for using incorrect terminology. I do a lot of DIY stuff around the house, but am by no means an expert of ANYTHING.

So I went up into my attic a few days ago to rewire some of coax and noticed an area up at the peak of my roof where the plywood was blackened. It was raining, and there was a very slow drip. The leak must have been there for a while because an area around 8" in diameter looked to be black (Im guessing this is rotten)

The dripping area is about 4-6" on the plywood from the peak of the roof. There is a roof vent at the top. How should I go about fixing this?

Old 10-26-07, 02:11 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
shot in the dark.....

Finding and repairing leaks that do not seem to have an obvious origination point... is a trade secret..we could tell ya, but then...you know...

OK, Ill take a shot in the dark .....Remove the shingles from the point you see water on the inside and move up to and including the ridge vent if necessary, until you find and area where the staining starts on the felt, beneath the shingles.

I've had it be as simple as a nail too close to the water-line (joint/seam) in the next course or two water-lines too close together. Could be a missing ridge cap or damaged ridge vent too.

A wood deck will swell to seal the nail when wet then shrink when dried out....cycle this a few hundred times, and the deck can no longer swell enough to seal the nail when wet and ....drip...drip...drip.

Good Luck!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: