its raining and i have new leak in old roof....help

Old 10-26-07, 03:14 PM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
its raining and i have new leak in old roof....help

I have a 15+ year old roof that needs replacement, there have been no leaks until TODAY......I need a temp fix for a few weeks in order to arrange $$$$ to have the roof replaced.

i noticed the leak pretty quickly, its coming thru my ceiling fan on my second level, i can see where the water is coming thru the roof in the attic and have set tarps and bucket set up in the attic to catch water and prvent damage inside the house

should rig a tarp on the roof over the area for the next couple weeks and/or try "roof leak" materials???

any help will be great

thanks

jc

Old 10-26-07, 03:55 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

If you know where ,you can use roof cement knife grade. If not for now Id get the roof coat fiber and brush it on

Old 10-26-07, 09:29 PM
H
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Go to Lowes or Home Depot and get some Plastic Roofing Cement/Adhesive. Comes in Red background w/ black graphics containers.

You can get "caulk gun" size or in a can or up to 5 gallon pails.

Go around where you see the crack and generously apply the adhesive. Should stop immediately and if the hole isn't big, 15 years to forever.

If the crack has some space in it, I would get some "flashing material" to put around the area. There is a product used for flashing doors and windows that is an adhesive tar with aluminum facing that is VERY sticky and good for flashing.

Seal around it with the cement/adhesive.

If something has blown off and the hole is big, get some underlayment, shingles and nail it down with the adhesive to adhere to the old shingles.

It should be an easy fix.

Good Luck

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: