Build up flat roof for shingles

Old 10-28-07, 01:59 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Build up flat roof for shingles

My garage extends past the back of my house 12 feet. The family room was extended 12 feet to match the end of the garage. The previous owner did this in the 80's. The family room has roll roofing installed with a low pitch. A contractor has suggested that he can build up the roof to match the pitch of the garage roof next to it and install shingles. He stated that he will install soffit vents and a gable vent. After he tears of the roll roofing, should he install a vapor barrier and some insualation. Also, by building up the roof, it would be about 8 inches under my master bedroom window. Would this be an issue with rain or snow? Thanks

Old 10-28-07, 06:54 PM
8" should be fine.

Old 10-29-07, 03:37 PM
D
I can't see where adding insulation would hurt, and I'm sure whoever builds the slope and installs the roofing material will use the appropriate underlayment for your area.

I don't think that there is much chance of rain splashing up and getting in through the window, if it's in good repair. If it's a wood window I'd make sure that it always has a good coat of primer and paint on it to protect against rot.

I can't speak to the snow issue, as it does not snow where I am. But I can see where it could drift or build up higher than the window ledge and as it begins to melt possibly work it's way inside. But then, I'm sure the builder would have installed windows in the house that are manufactured to withstand various scenarios involving snow if that is a factor for your area.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: