Re-Roofing a Shed

Old 11-05-07, 06:23 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Re-Roofing a Shed

Our 20' long shed with a Mansard roof leaks in one 3' section where the lower section of the roof meets the upper section. It seems like the stress of shingles folded over that crease accelerated the shingle's decay. Although, not leaking, the rest of the roof looks like it should be replaced. My question: There is one layer of shingles on this roof. Can I just re-roof by adding a second layer? Or, would I be better off stripping the first layer off, addressing the problem area with something like the Grace underlayment, and then a new layer of shingles?

Old 11-05-07, 07:46 AM
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
It is always better to remove the old shingles in order to insure the base is in good shape. As you mentoned it would be best to use the Grace underlayment if it is the rubber, ice dam type, stuff. I also recommend a more flexible shingle. Check at your buying place and look for a shingle with fiberglass backing. They need to be warm when installed to allow them to bend without breaking. While you have the old shingles off be sure the plywood is properly fastened because if it is loose it could be the cause of the broken shingles. Good luck with your project.

Old 11-05-07, 05:48 PM
T
Shingles should be removed to address any decay of sheathing. Just had my shed roof, sheathing, and ceiling replaced. Had drip edge installed. The previous owner did not install drip edge. Over roofing is not recommended.

Old 11-06-07, 06:44 AM
M
Thanks for the responses!

Old 11-06-07, 07:24 PM
D
Another thing you can do is roof of the lower slope and where it turns onto the upper slope - put flashing, then bring the shingles on the upper slope down to where the flashing breaks over the lower slope. This way you're getting a good seal and you won't be "creasing" the shingles from the upper slope over the lower slope.

You can get sheet-metal flashing in various colors to closely match the shingles.

If this is a shed then you should be able to see if you have any rotten decking from inside. If the decking isn't rotten and the shingles are laying flat you can roof over it without any troubles. Just cut the top layer of shingles back enough on the eve and gable so that you can't see that it's 2 layers.
Normally, along the eve and gable there will be two shingles - the bottom one is the starter shingle. Leave this and run your new shingles across it. Anyone looking up will think theres only one layer, if it's done right.

It's just a shed right? Garden tools, lawn mower, etc.

Old 11-07-07, 03:23 PM
Tear it off. Nail placement is critical with fiberglass shingles, and re-roofing will crack many of them later at stress points. Roof won't last.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: