coop roof

Old 11-07-07, 10:04 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
coop roof

I have an old chicken coop that has a roof in need of repair. The main (and only) load bearing beam is cracked and partially separated at two spots where there are posts supporting the beam. The posts are only rusted out metal pipes put there years ago.
I plan on sistering new 2x12's (not sure of the length of beam, its 20-30' long) to the original main beam boards with nuts and bolts. Then use pressure treated 4x4's (heavy enough?) as posts to support the beam (concrete floor). The coop is 20-30' long and about 15' wide, how far apart should the posts be placed. The beam is centered down the length, the rafters look like 2x6's. Are 2x6's heavy enough (should I sister them also), and how far apart should they be (right now they are maybe 20" apart)? The rafters are supporting tongue and groove boards, which have plywood and tar paper over them. The rafters, the t&g boards and plywood look in good shape.
Am new at this, so any help is greatly appreciated.

Old 11-07-07, 03:59 PM
W
Received 63 Upvotes on 55 Posts
Coop

We can better advise you if we know the actual length and width of the building.

The floor will not be adequate support for the posts.

Old 11-07-07, 04:10 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,900 Upvotes on 1,706 Posts
I agree, we'd be glad to help if you can be a little more specific. Pictures would be even better. I'm not quite sure why such a small shed would need a load bearing beam and center posts. What type of roof does it have, gable or hip?

It seems to me that perhaps the reason there is a beam down the center is that there are no ceiling joists or collar ties. But it's impossible to tell without actually seeing what you are referring to.

Does the ridge run the long dimension (~30') of the shed, or the short dimension (~15')?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: