Repairing fascia, soffit!

Old 11-08-07, 10:59 PM
M
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Repairing fascia, soffit!

I purchased a block shop/building last year. It has been neglected on the interior and exterior. I am pretty handy and a quick learner and pretty much self taught from sites like these. Never tackled any roofing or siding whatsover. Some of the fascia boards are pretty bad. Some damaged, some moldy, etc. Is there anything wrong with just putting vinyl fascia and soffit on without repairing it? How hard to replace? Just knock or cut off the fascia and replace? It has some fascia and soffit installed. Some is MISSING? Looks like the "F" channel is used against the building side. This is an old building which is commercial property and enjoy fixing up hoping to get a return on it in the future. Something I can tackle? Sorry for the long post. These sites are full of information.

Old 11-09-07, 06:06 AM
W
Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts
Roof

What kind of roof system does the building have?
Is it a sloped roof with overhanging soffits?
We need more info. Photos would help. You can post photos on Photobucket and give us the address. Post back.

Old 11-09-07, 06:34 AM
M
It is a sloped roof. Old block building. The roof doesn't have osb it has what looks like to be 1x10 boards then it doesn't look like felt paper but seems to be shingled right to the boards. Eventually i'd like to update and redo the roof maybe with a metal roof. It does have overhang.

Old 11-09-07, 11:13 AM
W
Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts
Trim

I would replace any decayed wood. You need solid wood to attach any type of soffit or fascia material.

I would guess that you can do the repairs.
Do the repairs on the wood first. Next, do the soffit. Then do the fascia. Good luck with your project.

Old 11-09-07, 11:52 AM
M
If I don't decide to use the drip edge do you just nail the vinyl fascia on top and bottom? What's the best hardware to use for nailing the soffit and fascia?

Old 11-09-07, 12:31 PM
M
I agree with wirepuller, replace any decayed wood 1st.

Putting up soffit and facia is not all that difficult.

It sounds as though you have decided on vinyl soffit. That as good a chice as any. However, I would rethink vinyl facia.
Personally I would opt for aluminum or pvc coated aluminum.
When you nail vinyl you will prevent it from its natural expanding and contracting.

Install 1/2 J Channel or F Channel at the back wall , you may be able to attach it to the wall or overhang. It will act a a receptor for the soffit which you will cut to length from the wall to the facia board. You can use aluminum roofing nails, they will not be seen.

The facia goes on last. You can nail directly through the face of the facia, I would use a color matched trim nail.

As for drip edge, you can always add that when you do the roof.

Old 11-09-07, 05:23 PM
T
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just had decayed wood replaced on soffit and fascia on mountain cabin and covered over with aluminum. Had soffit vents cut out. The soffit is covered with the perforated aluminum. Hopefully, by spring I can afford to have a new roof with ridge vent ventilation. How's your ventilation?

I'd definitely recommend drip edge. I had to replace my shed roof with new sheathing and new ceiling. Previous owner did not use drip edge, and shingles were cut too short and the moisture penetratkilon along edge of shingles contributed to the decay.

Old 11-10-07, 08:58 AM
M
Thx for all the help. So basically just start cutting the fascia boards out with sawz all? Fascia is just face nailed to end of rafterd isn't it? Thx again for all the help.

Old 11-12-07, 01:03 PM
M
What about damage to the rafters themselves on the ends where there was no soffit? Could I just attach a sister board to it and call it good. Interior rafters are fine. Looks like some of the exterior rafter has some damage though.

Old 11-12-07, 03:04 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,572 Likes on 1,410 Posts
Yes, sister something to the sides if it's too far gone... just be sure you have a nice plumb cut on the ends, and line up all your sistered rafter tails with the existing ones so that the fascia will go on straight. Running a stringline across them might help you line them up perfectly.

Old 11-15-07, 01:48 PM
M
When I redo the roof I am thinking about just going metal over it. What is the correct process for this. Fasten directly or lay down some type of furring strips then fasten? My building is around 30x60. I don't know the exact pitch but it has a pretty good pitch to it. Any ideas on cost for this? Thx.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: