Faulty Gutter Install?

Old 11-22-07, 10:16 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Faulty Gutter Install?

New Gutters Were Installed In My Home Screwing Threw The Drip Cap, I Was Told This Will Cause Water Intrusion. The Installers Also Added Large Shime To Keep It Away From The Fascia. It Looks Bad, Is This Correct Procedure?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-22-07, 12:27 PM
Group Moderator
Received 722 Votes on 668 Posts
First off, the back of your gutter has to be tucked behind the metal drip edge, or water will run behind the gutter. Sometimes this means that when the gutter is attached, screws are driven into the flashing, and there's nothing abnormal about that. You have no reason to be concerned about leaks from those screws.

As far as the shims are concerned, if your fascia is not plumb, custom bent shims placed behind the gutter every few feet are the only way the gutter can sit plumb. I'm imagining that you probably have fascia that is at an angle- perpendicular to the pitch of the roof. The only other option when hanging gutters on such a roof is to use a gutter strap that nails on top of the shingles and hangs down to support the gutter. Those sort of straps are usually avoided because of all the nail holes they put in the roof.

So unless you want to have your soffit and fascia reframed, your roof reshingled, and your drip edge flashing changed, I think your gutter installers probably did a very nice job.

If this doesn't sound right, maybe I'm not picturing what you are trying to describe. Photos can be included in your messages by inserting a link to the images.